What is a Charter School
A Charter School is a school established to provide students and parents with more choices in the types of educational opportunities and programs that are available within the public school system. The Legislature provides for charter schools through the California Charter Schools Act (1992)
Charter Schools are open to all
- Charter Schools are open to all children, do not require entrance exams, and must participate in state testing and federal accountability programs.
- Charter Schools are tuition-free.
- Charter Schools draw up their own “charter” which is a set of rules and performance standards that they are held accountable to. This is one of the main reasons why many parents choose a Charter School over a traditional school. You can read our charter here.
- In terms of accountability, state schools adhere directly to standards set by the state board of education, but charter schools are bound to their charter, which is drawn up by a group (could be a for-profit organization, a group of teachers, parents, the local school district, or government entities). In 2018, Choices Charter School earned the longest term possible, a six-year term of WASC accreditation (Western Association of School and Colleges). This term reflects the accreditation agency’s confidence in the school’s ability to provide an excellent educational experience to its students. Choices Charter WASC accreditation demonstrates that its independent study learning program is highly effective and competitive with other traditional schools throughout the nation.
- Choices Charter School is a public charter school currently under the local supervision of the San Juan Unified School District. The governing board of CCS is the San Juan Unified School District Board of Education. The SJUSD Board of Education formally approves all hiring and separation of employment of Choices Charter School personnel.
- Choices Charter school shall operate as an extension of the San Juan Unified School District and be responsible to the San Juan Unified School District board, as per our annual Memorandum of Understanding (MOU.) For the purposes of special education, Choices operates its special education program as an arm of the district. As described in detail in the MOU, the SJUSD receives all special education funds and allocates funds to CCS for the provision of special education programs and services.
Need more information? Would you like to come to visit the campus? You are welcome! Just schedule an Information Session and see for yourself how Choices Charter School is an extraordinary school. CLICK HERE